We went to see the surgeon Tuesday (Dr. Ostlie). He will be the one operating on Isaiah's hernia and do the circumcision. When we got there, he was weighed and measured. Our little man is not so little anymore. He is about 21 in. long and came in at a whopping 10 lbs! I guess the nurse wasn't so far off on Sunday, eh? Anyway, Dr. Ostlie came in and checked out the hernia and said that it was still pliable and able to go back in. So the discomfort Isi is feeling at night is definitely NOT from the hernia. He suggested a few things like maybe stomach issues, gas, etc. But was very quick to inform us that he was no pediatrician and we should speak with her to address what the problem could be. Funny thing is that he said that when his wife asks him about issues with his own kids, he tells her, "I don't know, call the pediatrician." I just laughed.
Surgery is probably still going to be May 13th. Dr. Ostlie will coordinate with the cardiologists and plans to do the hernia surgery 1-2 days prior to the open heart surgery. Another stay at the hospital. We will pray that Isaiah does very well and will not have to be on the vent very long. God willing, I know he will be just fine.
When we did make it home, his pediatrician, Dr. Stuppy did call us. (Her nurse called earlier to make sure we were on the schedule for his synagis shot). I gave her a quick update of the appt and we begin to brainstorm of what could be causing the discomfort. I think it has to do with the formula we fortify his breast milk with. While trying to increase my supply, I had started to give him formula only. That's when I first noticed his crying episodes. As we talked more, I gave her examples of what he does, when and how long. And she said it sounded a lot like colic. Hum...colic. I always thought it was something where babies cried non-stop for hours on end. I was told that it can happen like that. Or like Isaiah, it happens in the evening around the same time with certain other characteristics. I want to try less formula (fortified breast milk) and more regular breast milk to see if that helps. We are just going to treat it like colic and work on the milk thing, then regroup on Monday when he goes to get his shot. Since Tuesday, we've had one night of no crying episodes. (He had basically plain breast milk all day). This leads me to believe it's tied more to the formula. Unfortunately he needs it since it's made especially for premature infants to help them with getting the extra calories they need. The Pediatrician said she was hesitant to tell me to try Gripe water as it could counteract with his current medications. She did give me other things to try for the colic. We'll see.
Thank you to Lisa for bringing dinner Tuesday. Honestly, I completely forgot about it and once I picked MJ up from school, I was wondering what we were going to eat. Lisa to the rescue. Next time you stop by, I hope we won't have all the dramatics going on. For those far away, we had a visit from 3 police officers. Turns out that if you call 911 and hang up (especially 2x) they will come running! So to AM......your number will no longer be dialed from my home phone!!!!
Micah is getting to the point that he wants to pick Isaiah up on his own and bring him to us. I am so scared he'll drop him. We come up with excuses of why he can't and shouldn't but we have let him hold Isi while standing up...under careful supervision of course.
The home health nurse came on Wed and when she weighed Isaiah, he was back down to 9ls 15 oz. Probably because I haven't been giving him as much fortified milk as before. I can tell that he definitely does need it or he will be falling down the scale again.
Today, I went to the Dr. Haven't been feeling that great. Dr. Curry did a rapid strep test that came back negative. Not sure what I have, but I know I have to be extremely careful around Isaiah as we can't have him sick. That's why it's still important to wash our hands frequently. I will be buying masks for us to wear in the house. That will be hard as Isaiah is at the point that he loves interacting with everyone. Not seeing our facial expressions could be hard on him. Especially when his smile normally occurs after seeing our smiles. Safety First
Here are a couple of pix I snapped Tuesday evening.
Here's one of MJ being a big boy and man-handling his little brother:







2 comments:
Oh I love the the pictures of the boys! You are such a braver mommy than I am! So sorry to hear about the issues you are having. It gets confusing when you try to figure these little guys out. Best wishes on making that happen and I also hope you get to feeling better soon.
Yours boys just get cuter every time you post a new picture!
I hope you feel better soon and that all goes well with Isi, We're thinking about you!
Post a Comment