So Wednesday morning, I went into the lab at the OB office. I had to drink my glucola beginning at 8am and get to the office by 8:40 to have my blood drawn at 9:05am. I can't stand that stuff. I had the "sprite" imitator....nothing like drinking extra sweet stuff with NO carbonation. My regular OB appt was at 9:25am. Dr. Arroyo came in and said, "With everything you've been going thru, I'd love nothing more than to tell you good news, but I can't this time." I looked at him and said, "I failed my glucose test didn't I?" He said yes. I asked him about the metformin I was on and since it's to control insulin levels shouldn't it have helped. He said yes but only so much and if I hadn't been on it, my levels probably would have been a lot higher than they were. So now I get the pleasure of having to do the 3-hr test next Wednesday. That means getting to the lab by 9am, having my blood drawn, drinking ANOTHER nasty glucola drink, and then having my blood drawn every hour for the next 3 hrs. All this and I have to fast for 12 hrs prior and can't eat anything while I'm there. SUCKS!!!
I also had a perinatal appt later at 11:30. Dr. Ridgway did the scan and everything still looks good. Baby had not pulled out the stint, the fluid in the chest was still draining well - even though there was still some in there. Heart looks good, etc. So after he does the scan, he tells me that since I will be 28 weeks next week, I have to begin doing bio-physical profiles. That means, they will take measurements, check fluid levels in the sac, monitor the heartbeat, monitor movement, etc. He tells me that I am at an increased risk for stillbirth. Talk about a swift kick to the mental state. It took me back a little. But then he proceeded to tell me that everyone is at risk of this happening, but my risk is a little higher because of the issues the baby has and the procedures that have been done. The plus is that I get to get even more acquainted with this little one! On the other hand, the nurse told me that the steroid shot I received a couple weeks ago can effect the results of my glucose test and more than likely, that's why my levels were elevated. I was happy to hear this.
I'll keep you all posted on what happens next week.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome to our world!
We are glad you could stop by. This is a blog about the everyday occurrences in our lives. The good times and the bad; the happy and the sad; the down right ugly and the marvelously beautiful things. We will do our best to keep it updated.
Please feel free to leave your comments on the posts. We'd love to hear from you!
Enjoy your visit!
The Piggotts
Please feel free to leave your comments on the posts. We'd love to hear from you!
Enjoy your visit!
The Piggotts







No comments:
Post a Comment