Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Update on Monday's surgery

First off, thank you all for your support and prayers for our little one. We appreciate everything you all have done for us.

So Monday, I went into the peri's office for my initial ultrasound. It was myself, Antwan and my dad. (As a side note: my dad lives in IN and drives a tractor-trailer and he was already coming to town. He wasn't expected to be here until Monday but when I spoke to him on Sunday, when he was outside of St. Louis, he said he would come straight to my place and be there to go with me in the morning.) The sonogram was at 9:15. The fluid was there but the baby was not in the best position. Dr. Finley poked and prodded and jiggled to make the baby move a little. He was concerned that positioning would keep him from doing the surgery. He did end up finding a good spot to go into. With that bit of info, and a quick briefing on what would happen, we were headed upstairs to labor and delivery.

It was a little earlier then I was supposed to be up there, but that's ok. I got into my little gown and into the bed, made a few calls and waited for my turn in the operating room. Antwan and my dad left to get some food. In the meantime, my father came by. The anesthesiologist came in to talk to me about what I needed to make me comfortable and what she thought was a good solution. At about 12:20 pm, the nurse and anesthesiologist came to wheel me back to O.R. We got back there and I walked into the room and got on the table. I remember seeing both perinatologists in the room. They came over and did another ultrasound to make sure baby was still in a good position and find the best entry point. My regular OB came over for the procedure and he let me know he was there. I was already getting my dose of "happy stuff" so I was awake but comfortable. I was happy that I had all the "male team members" there for me at the same time. I tried to watch part of the procedure on the ultrasound screen but ended up closing my eyes for most of the procedure. I could hear everything but don't remember a lot. Maybe I was in and out of sleepiness? I do know that I could feel when the needle was going in. They had to make a 1" incision so I shifted and moaned with each stitch but it was like I didn't care...sorta.

After the procedure, I was taken back to my room and put on the monitors. It didn't take too long to come back to my senses. MJ had a Dr. appt so Ant went to pick him so he could get there. The good thing is that his Dr is located in the medical building behind the hospital...which is attached to the hospital. Very convenient. He had to have breathing treatments over the weekend so we wanted to make sure it wasn't anything serious. I think it was just a horrid chest cough but his lungs sounded perfect!

So after Antwan left, I was moved to the perinatal unit for overnight monitoring. It was about 2:30. I was able to order food...FINALLY!! As most of you know, I love food and being that I didn't have anything to eat since 10:30 Sun night...I was SOOOOOOOOOO ready! I ordered but it didn't show up til after 4. What! Talk about starving and getting more frustrated by the minute. My dad felt so bad, he went and bought me some chips. Love ya daddy! There was some lack of communication...something about not having orders from my Dr stating I was able to eat. How about a phone call?! Food finally arrived so I gorged.

Dr. Finley came by to do a followup ultrasound to check on things. Baby is looking really good. The stint was placed higher than usual but that is good as it is probably harder for baby to get to and pull out. Heart looks good and lungs are expanded beautifully. Looks like the stint is doing it's job. Let's just pray we don't have to do this again. So Dr. F leaves and co-workers show up, then Feli comes in. Antwan makes it up with MJ then my "pseudo spouse" arrives with Jack Stack hickory pit beans. OMG.....I LOVE U AM!!! I ordered dinner and chatted. People left, people came in. Nice to have friends. My dad left so he could get ready to go on with his journey. Eventually Antwan takes MJ home...but not until after promises from mom that I would be home when he got out of school.

That was the start of a very restless night. Constant monitoring, extra tight belts around the belly and a light that the nurse didn't think to turn off makes this chic tired, miserable, and wishing to be home in her own bed. By morning, I had a different nurse, and a dark room. But Dr. Finley, Dr. Schwartz and my reg Ob Dr. Arroyo came in to do sono to check fluid drainage. All still looks great. Uterus was quiet, baby's heart was strong and stint was still in place. I went home early afternoon and am on ordered rest for a couple days. I'll do whatever it takes to make sure my baby is safe. Dr. Finley says it would be nice if my baby went past it's due date because everyday after that date can only help in the lung development and may aid in countering any damage this condition has caused. Followup with the peri is next Wednesday and will continue weekly until delivery.

Again, thank you all for your continued prayers, support and love. We will keep you updated on baby's progress.
-Ro

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hi Roseanda, I am glad to hear things went well from the surgery. I'm sorry to hear about the complications, you will be in our prayers. We wish you the best of luck, please keep us posted!

Mom who hates stupid people said...

Roseanda, I am so happy to hear the surgery went well. We will continue to keep you guys in our prayers. If you need anything, call me.

Welcome to our world!

We are glad you could stop by. This is a blog about the everyday occurrences in our lives. The good times and the bad; the happy and the sad; the down right ugly and the marvelously beautiful things. We will do our best to keep it updated.



Please feel free to leave your comments on the posts. We'd love to hear from you!



Enjoy your visit!



The Piggotts