Sunday, May 17, 2009

Change again

So Isaiah went thru his hernia surgery. He didn't have to be put on the vent which was good. On the down side, he didn't tolerate the anesthesia very well. They repaired the hernia with a snag on the left but he made it thru. Then they did the circ. Dr. Ostlie told us all this and said because of the anesthesia issue, he would have to go to the Pediatric ICU and we could go up in an hour. Well, 1 1/2 hrs later, we went up and behold he was on the vent. They ended up putting him on it after surgery as he was having lots of desats. He was able to come off of it later. They were withholding food but he got extremely cranky because he wanted to eat. After finally getting the ok, he downed about 4+ oz. Don't mess with his food or EVERYONE pays!

We got home and everyone was tired so we went to bed. I was up and down a few times as usual because I couldn't sleep very well. Not just because Isaiah wasn't home, but because I haven't been able to sleep thru the night since before I even got pregnant. Anyway, about 4:45am, I got a call from Dr. Allen at the PICU and he tells me that Isaiah has had several episodes of dropping sats and heart rate and needed to be bagged. Because of this, they had to put him back on the vent and keep him sleepy. That being said. The decision was pretty much finalized that he would stay on the vent and in ICU until his surgery next week.

On Saturday, Dr. Klem and Dr. Carlsen both went to Dr. O'Brien to see if they could get him to move the heart surgery up from Thursday. It didn't look like it was going to happen since Monday and Tuesday were booked solid for surgeries. Saturday night, I stayed in the Ronald McDonald House so I could be near in case something happened. I never got a call, but when I got up, and made it to the ICU, I was told that they had to sedate him because he was still having episodes of desats. But that Dr. O'Brien had decided to move his surgery to Tuesday. Don't know what time yet as they have a lot of things to move around on his schedule.

As I waited for Ant to come back to get me, I dozed off in the chair in Isaiah's room. When I finally woke up, I saw that his arm was no longer contained inside the blankets. He was moving it around sporadically. I walked up to the bed and saw that he had freed himself from being swaddled but he was still pretty out of it. The nurse finally comes in and she says, "Oh no buddy!" He had pulled the IV out of his head! I didn't even realize it because of the way his head was turned and the side of the bed I was standing on. It took three nurses and three pokes when we finally said, we're not getting a line in. Luckily he still had on in his foot. It's slow so they don't want that to be the only one.

I'm home now and we're currently waiting for the Dr. to decide if they are going to put on main line in his clavicle (sp)/neck area. I can't remember the name of it. We will be going back up to the hospital later to check on him. I will be staying home with Micah tonight but was told the Dr. will want to go over things with me tomorrow and talk with us so I will need to be around. I will stop by work for a little bit as there are things I have to do but will head to the hospital right after that.

I will keep you all posted. Thank you for the well wishes and prayers. You all don't know how much it means to our family to know so many people care about our little guy. Thank you all again!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Best wishes my dear friend. What a rollercoaster for your family and yet you've come so far . . . know that our prayers will be not only with Isaiah, but also with you and your family that you might be able to hold up emotionally and physically through the next critical days.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for quite some time, myself being the mother of premature twins, but now I just have to tell you that I pray for your baby, he is such a cutie and so strong, and I just KNOW that he'll be all right! God bless you family!

Welcome to our world!

We are glad you could stop by. This is a blog about the everyday occurrences in our lives. The good times and the bad; the happy and the sad; the down right ugly and the marvelously beautiful things. We will do our best to keep it updated.



Please feel free to leave your comments on the posts. We'd love to hear from you!



Enjoy your visit!



The Piggotts