Monday, September 22, 2008

Please pray for our little one

Well, today we went to our follow-up appt. with Dr. Finley the perinatologist. I was expecting to talk about our next course of action. I was fairly optimistic in that last Thursday, the Dr. called to tell me the initial tests (Rapid Tests) from the amnio came back as negative for Down's, Trisomy 13, 18 and 21. So I thought, great, things are looking up. We can now cross things off the list of what the baby doesn't have.

To my surprise, or should I say shock. I got in there, sat on the table and the nurse promptly gave me a form to sign to give authorization to do a fetal thoracentesis. (This means they went into my abdomen just like they did for the amniocentesis, but instead of stopping at the amniotic to draw fluid like last week, they insert the needle into the baby's chest and draw that fluid out.) This was definitely not an easy procedure. The initial stick didn't hurt but going thru the rest of the layers was not a fun experience. I was watching the TV screen above my head and watched the needle go in that way. I saw the Dr pull out fluid with the syringe and remove it only to screw another one on and begin drawing fluid into that one as well. It was halfway at this point that I began to feel lightheaded and the room began to get brighter. I started to feel really awkward and not well then had to close my eyes. I was holding Antwan's hand through this procedure and I was overcome with almost losing conscienceness that I had to let go. My arms dropped to the sides of the table and I could see nothing. I was getting really hot and my speech was starting to become affected. The nurse kept trying to get me to communicate but it was getting increasingly harder as each second passed.

The Dr finally finished up and apologized for how fast he went. He said that the ultrasound was showing him that my little one had a problem with listening and he was afraid the baby would try to start moving...usually they don't move at all. Once the needle was out, they immediately turned me on my left side and had me take slow deep breaths. I was over come with the this awful feeling and literally felt like I just wanted to die. The last time I felt like this was when Antwan and I were flying home from FL after our cruise and the plane had to make an emergency landing in TN because I became so sick. I got hot almost instantly and began to sweat pretty quickly. The nurse had to turn on a fan and put cold towels on my head and neck. I felt the urge to vomit so she gave me one of those little pink plastic kidney shaped pans. Antwan had to kind of keep his body right in front of me as I thought that if my hands fell off the table, the rest of my body was going to follow. I had to lie there for about 10-15 min until I was well enough to sit up and drink some fluids.

Right after the procedure, the Dr. did another scan and both he and Antwan commented on how the lungs began to fill that space that was once occupied by all that fluid (which by the way, the Dr. actually pulled out 28cc-that's about 3 syringes of fluid!!!) I was still not well and couldn't yet open my eyes so I didn't see any of that. The Dr. told me I was a trooper and I probably got ill because I was very anxious and my heartbeat was pretty rapid as a result. So that combined with lying on my back and having all that pressure on those arteries that in the back probably contributed to my state of being during the procedure. I think I would rather have 10 epidurals placed in my back then endure that procedure again.

The fluid will be sent off to the labs to see what they it shows. I should have results back soon. My followup appt is Friday Sept. 26th at 8:15. Dr. Finley will be checking to see if the fluid returns, how much and we'll determine if another procedure may be necessary. I'm praying all will be good. It's all in God's hands and he is the only miracle worker so I'm giving it to him. For now, I just go home and rest.

I just ask that you all keep this little one in your thoughts and prayers that everything will turn out just fine. Thanks everyone!
-Ro

No comments:

Welcome to our world!

We are glad you could stop by. This is a blog about the everyday occurrences in our lives. The good times and the bad; the happy and the sad; the down right ugly and the marvelously beautiful things. We will do our best to keep it updated.



Please feel free to leave your comments on the posts. We'd love to hear from you!



Enjoy your visit!



The Piggotts