Friday, September 26, 2008

Today's Peri Appt

So Antwan and I went this morning to my follow-up appt at the perinatologist. Dr Finley came in to inform me that his colleague, Dr. Ridgway, would be coming in to watch the screen. Turns out the good doctor will be on vacation next week so I will be seeing Dr. Ridgway in his absence. He wanted him to know what was going on and update him on my care-to-date. Getting right into the scan, it was immediately noticeable that the fluid had returned. All of it...if not more. Both Dr. Finley and Ridgway recommended draining the fluid right away as this is a critical stage in beginning lung development. Plus, the baby was in the perfect position.

I was very hesitant because I started having flashbacks of Monday's procedure and everything I felt both physically, mentally and emotionally. But deep down, I knew it was the best thing for my little peanut and I am fully aware of the risks if I do nothing or wait too long. Dr. Finley said it may take 1 or 2 more times of doing the fetal thoracentesis before either the condition will fix itself or we'll need to go in to insert a tube in the baby's chest to let it drain that way.

So the draining commenced. I had to brace myself and take deep breaths right before he started. It was still somewhat painful but I didn't pass out, get lightheaded or sick. Probably because I knew what to expect. I watched the procedure on the screen and even saw the Dr. pulling the fluid out with the syringe. Grace, the nurse, came to my side to hold my hand. Boy did I squeeze it. At times it was pretty bad because the baby wasn't as cooperative this time. He/she wanted to move, kick and punch which made the needle move a lot! I just wanted it to be over. Grace talked to me a little which helped, but I had to stop when the baby started moving. Dr. Finley pulled out 30cc this time and said there was just a tad more on the other side but he wasn't going to re-stick me just to get it. He pulled out all that was there on the side he was working.

Since I was fully conscience this time, I could see the lungs filling up the space where the fluid had been. Even the heart started moving into some of the space. Oh that little heart...it was beating just beautifully after the procedure. Looks nice and strong. I was very sore afterwards this time. It hurt to walk. I stopped by work to pick up my laptop since I needed to go home and rest.

I am exhausted emotionally, mentally lacking and physically challenged at the moment, but life must go on. We are trying to make life as normal as possible for Micah as it wouldn't be fair not to. I feel so bad because I can't really do anything after the procedures...like pick Micah up to give him a big hug and kiss; can't make dinner; clean up, etc. But it has helped Antwan to step up and help fill in the void. Tonight, I was able to have enough strength to give Micah his bath....granted it was at 9:45pm, the fact is I did it. As a mom, that's all I could hope for.

Tomorrow is Micah's birthday party at Power Play and I have to make sure I'm at my best for that. He has karate in the morning, we pick up the cake after that, then go by to take pix of the house, he will need his nap and then the party starts at 2pm. Maybe when I get home, I'll have enough energy to clean up a little...YEAH RIGHT!!!

Keep us in your prayers.
Goodnight! -Ro

2 comments:

miss v said...

i'm sorry to hear that the fluid came back. :( i'm not sure what that means, but i'm sure you'll explain it to me next week. i'm keeping all of you in my thoughts.

hope the birthday party was fun!

Mom who hates stupid people said...

Roseanda

I just was thinking about you and checked out the blog. You both will be in our prayers. Let me know if there is anything we can do. I can bring food over for dinner. Just remember we are here for you.

Lisa & the rest of the Circle clan

Welcome to our world!

We are glad you could stop by. This is a blog about the everyday occurrences in our lives. The good times and the bad; the happy and the sad; the down right ugly and the marvelously beautiful things. We will do our best to keep it updated.



Please feel free to leave your comments on the posts. We'd love to hear from you!



Enjoy your visit!



The Piggotts