Isaiah started on the oscillator. This is the machine that fills his lungs with air and then gives continues puffs of air to help keep the lungs open. It also is a means to deliver oxygen. He was on 100% oxygen when he first went up to the NICU then they were able to lower it gradually. However, this changes day to day/minute to minute. Isaiah graduated from the oscillator to the ventilator which is the one that does the regular breathing for him. His lungs have collapsed on two separate occasions. The second time it happened (11/30), he needed to be bagged (nurse had to physically give him air) and then he was put back on the oscillator. They have been able to turn it down just slightly. The lung collapse was due to his chest tubes being blocked.
Isaiah also suffers from pulmonary hypertension. This is where the blood pressure in the heart is elevated. The cause is from the right chamber working harder to try to push blood over to the lungs. However the vessels are so small since the lungs are underdeveloped, that the heart is doing double duty to try harder. With the vessels being so small and not allowing the oxygen rich blood to come over easily, the blood pressure in the lungs is low. So he has been on a couple different blood pressure meds. One med he is on is supposed to relax the the muscles in the lungs which should in turn make it easier for the blood and oxygen to pass through those tiny vessels and should increase the blood pressure in the lungs and decrease the blood pressure in the heart. As of Monday 12-1, he was taken off one of the bp meds! Yeah! This is a huge thing for a very sick little boy.
Another big positive is that the catheter that had been in is no longer needed. For the first couple of days, Isaiah was not urinating on his own. They would press on his bladder and urine would come out. So they placed a catheter which helped. A few days ago, the catheter came out so they left it out to see if he would go on his own and sure enough, my baby is going on his own now! AMEN!!! This is a very positive change. I never thought I would be so excited about my baby peeing but every small step is huge for Isaiah.
Today was a really emotional day for me. I had a couple things I needed to do for work by end of work day. I also finally got my Short-Term disability things in order. Still have some other things to do and need to figure out what I will need for those, but it will work out. I got overwhelmed about everything that was going on and just broke into tears. I realized just how much Antwan has helped me this past week. He has been really good about talking to the Dr's regarding what's going on with Isaiah. Under normal circumstances, I am the one who retains the medical info as I understand it a lot more I would then relay the info to Antwan in terms he can understand. Lately, he's been the one asking all the questions, and really getting a grasp on Isaiah's care, what's going on, how one condition affects another....basically just really understanding everything. Me on the other hand....I feel like I have retained the basic info, but most other things I have completely let go in one ear and out the other. I don't know if mentally I can't get everything straight or if it's just because I am concentrating so much on Isaiah, I just don't pay attention. I am so zoned out, tired, overwhelmed, you name it, I got it. I knew it would be a roller coaster, I just never thought it would hit this hard. The bad part is I don't think it's hit the HARDEST yet.I have been having nightmares almost every night since I was released from the hospital. So strange and scary that I usually don't want to go back to sleep. I usually don't sleep well and wake up frequently during the night. Between not sleeping well, being tired and pumping frequently, I must seem like a wreck to Antwan. He has been so understanding with me and helping me with Micah so much. He tries to make me lie down and rest. I think it may have to do with him not liking that my ankles still look like the elephant man's face. hehehe
Micah is also not liking being back in school, but we think it's best for him to be back on a schedule to have some normalcy in his life. He likes to help mommie pump. He tries to do it too. It's so funny because he will put it up to his chest and proudly say, "Look mommie, I'm dairy milking like you!" Too cute. Oh...on the pumping aspect. I have an entire freezer shelf full of milk bottles and I have already filled 2 bins at the hospital that they are storing for me. It's only been 9 days! I hope to be a cow like I was with Micah. It's crucial that I pump to keep up my supply for when Isaiah is finally able to nurse. I just have to make myself get up to do it.
Antwan is also pretty tired. He went back to work this week, but not full days. Between helping me around the house, helping with Micah and doing the leg work on decision making for the final selections of items for the house-which by the way is driving us nuts and we can't wait until it's over-I don't know how he has time to breathe. This man is wonderful. I just can't imagine going through this without him. He's been wonderful. He is currently asleep with his head on my shoulder, barely holding on to an empty bowl of leftover food from tonight. I feel like I owe him a lot right now. Love you baby!
I know this is a lot longer than I expected it to be. I never realized there were so many updates to post. I'm gonna try to do better. I just haven't had the energy this last week.
Thank you to everyone who has been praying for our family. Thank you also to those of you who have gone beyond generous and brought food for us. It is so appreciated! Please continue to keep us uplifted in prayer. Thank you AM for the beautiful pix! Don't know what I'd do without your support.
Love you all!
Team Piggott
Team Piggott







2 comments:
thank you for the update roseanda! we are all thinking of you and your family. hope you had a good day today.
Thinking and praying for your family and little one....hang in there!{Hannahsmama--FT BB}
Post a Comment