Thursday, December 18, 2008

Rock-A-Bye Baby!

Ok....first off, my mom flew in Wednesday 12/17. She will be here until Jan. 7th. How nice to have her here to help us. She may be here to long enough to help us move into the house. I will do an update on that probably tomorrow. I will go out and take pix sometime during the day.


So we went up to the hospital. We got the update on Isaiah. He is still doing well. Dr. Holcomb says he wouldn't put him in the critically sick category....he'd say more like the fairly sick group. He is "tickled pink" with how far Isaiah has come over these last few weeks. He is doing really well. His UA is out (the cord that was inserted in the umbilical artery). This came out a few days ago. He's off the blood pressure meds. The Dr. tried to take him off the vent to put him on the c-pap machine, but his trachea started to collapse. They had to put him back on the vent. They will attempt to excubate him again probably next week.

So now that his UA is out Dr. Holcomb surprised me today by saying he thought I should finally get my wish and hold Isaiah. WHAT! Talk about a surprise. So, they ordered and administered Xopenex to see if that will help his trachea (will be given a couple times a day). Then Isaiah's nurse and another nurse began the process of moving machines, cords, tubes, etc to get him to me and hold. It took about 5 min of prep before the move finally happened, and with that, he was in my arms resting.

He looked so peaceful, like he's been waiting for that forever. Honestly, I think we both had been waiting for this for some time. Isaiah has just been too sick to do it. The Dr. came back after a while to check in on us and he was happy to see how Isaiah was doing. He heart rate was in the 140's and his oxygen levels remained in the 90's. He was happy to see how well Isaiah was tolerating it. He said he wishes we could have done that sooner and that I was good for him. Dr. Holcomb said they should get a pillow keep me there 24/7 and he could give me a catheter to make me more comfortable. Hehehe.

I got to hold him for over an hour! I couldn't stop touching him. He is so tiny now that he is losing so much of the fluid. I just watched him sleep so silently. It just felt right. He had a feeding while I was holding him as well. Antwan wasn't there to hold him, but he will soon. Dr. Holcomb said that as long as Isaiah was as stable as he's been, there's nothing preventing me from holding him everyday! My mom took some video so I thought I'd share. My mom did the video so it's her doing the commentating. Gotta love Nana! Check out the pix from our visit when you click on the right.


We are asking that you all keep praying for Isaiah and our family. Thank you to everyone for all you have done for us.

God Bless!

1 comment:

miss v said...

awesome!!!! what a huge step for you both... i'm so happy for you.

Welcome to our world!

We are glad you could stop by. This is a blog about the everyday occurrences in our lives. The good times and the bad; the happy and the sad; the down right ugly and the marvelously beautiful things. We will do our best to keep it updated.



Please feel free to leave your comments on the posts. We'd love to hear from you!



Enjoy your visit!



The Piggotts