Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Making big strides

My mom and I went up to the hospital today to see Isaiah. He was swaddled when we walked in. As I approached the bed, something looked different. He was off the ventilator and was on the C-Pap machine. That's a step down. The only thing is that it is a head gear type thing. So it's like an itty bitty breathing mask (similar to an adult getting a oxygen mask put on). It is strapped on to his head on the sides and over the head so it looks like some type of head gear. Hard to see his face now. The other thing is that now that the vent tube is out of his mouth, we will be able to hear him. He was crying several times, but his voice is still not in completely because the tube had been there...so when he does cry, is sounds like a baby who is completely horse so it sounds like a whisper. I can only imagine how loud he will be once his voice comes back.

The IV in his head is gone. I'm assuming because of the machine. We had requested to be told when they were going to switch him to the other machine, but that didn't happen. So far, he seems to be doing well with it. I'm going to pray that his trachea can stand it and will not collapse like it did before. I know little man will do well. The good thing is that now he can be moved in position. I did hold him today and the nurse wanted to keep him for herself. She initially put him on my chest, but I ended up switching positions and laying him down in my arms. It made him a little more comfortable I think. He loves his binky and wanted to suck on something so I had to hold it in his mouth. It was so nice to be able to position him any way I wanted without having to have the nurses do a song and dance.

So, the best part about today is that when I was about to put him back in the bed, Micah and Antwan came in. Micah really wanted to hold Isaiah so we let him. It was so sweet. Isaiah had smacked Micah in the face when was holding him. Micah told me later tonight it was Isaiah's way of giving him a kiss and that he wanted to keep him since he loves him so much. I just wanted to cry. Here's the pictures. I'll let you all see the happy family. Don't mind the "dress code". It's the bare essentials. hehe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such sweet pictures!

Welcome to our world!

We are glad you could stop by. This is a blog about the everyday occurrences in our lives. The good times and the bad; the happy and the sad; the down right ugly and the marvelously beautiful things. We will do our best to keep it updated.



Please feel free to leave your comments on the posts. We'd love to hear from you!



Enjoy your visit!



The Piggotts